Friday, October 16, 2009

Al Franken makes the outrageous claim that rape is wrong...

Rarely do I want to punch my television. I am not one of the overly-exuberant viewers who can enmesh the two realities and therefore talk myself into having arguments, and/or fistfights with the tv. I do not watch sports (if I can help it), and people who yell at the tv make me flinch. But every once in a while, a story will come along that will so overtake me with immediate anger, my rationale has no time to catch up. I will not infuse this particular blog with my usual prettified language. I will simply state the facts and ask for your help in passing along this disgusting news to your friends and family.


Al Franken introduced an amendment this week which would financially punish government contractors (read: Halliburton, etc.) who, in essence, drafted employment contracts containing fine print prohibiting its employees from suing if they were raped on the job. One such woman who was stationed overseas with KBR (a Halliburton subsidiary) was gang-raped and then stuffed into a shipping container for days on end without food or water. Her employment contract contains just such fine print, because, let's face it, being a woman is a liability. A pre-existing condition, if you will. Enter Al Franken with an amendment to eradicate these punitive, pugnacious practices. One would imagine that his amendment is the kind that would receive multilateral, bipartisan support right? Well...let us never overestimate the humanity of our Republican repre(hensible)sentatives who suckle at the teat of Papa Halliburton. (I know...'what does that make the teat', you ask?) Thirty of them (yes, apparently 30 percent of senators can make the case for rape) voted against Franken's amendment to defund government contractors who participate in this type of behavior. These senators are, by the way, the same guys who for weeks now have been salivating over the defunding and delegitimization of Acorn for a much overblown scandal.


Senator Jeff Sessions (R.AL) has been one of the figureheads coming out against Franken's amendment. I wrote to Senator Sessions because I was livid, and I have included a copy of my email. I have also included a list of the 30 (men) republicans who voted for rape in the workplace. (I apologize for the pandering rhetoric and for the gross oversimplification I just employed...I was merely borrowing a favorite republican trick for use against them.) I digress. Please feel free to pass this information along to anyone and everyone you know. I invite you to write your own letters to these (assholes) public servants, or feel free to copy and paste mine and sign your name to it. I intend to write to all 30 of them. Plaster their names on your blogs, your Twitters, your Facebooks, etc. Fuck them and the elephant they rode in on.


"Dear Senator Sessions,


I was more than disheartened to learn this week that you and 29 of your colleagues (every last one of them Republicans, go figure) voted against the Franken bill that would in effect help rape victims. There should be NO clause or fine print in ANY contract preventing rape victims from seeking justice. The woman who was gang-raped overseas and then stuffed into a barrel should be able to sue KBR for every last cent in their coffers. And she should win. In a time when playing the party lines is drawing nothing but contempt from all but the wing-nuttiest of citizens, I think perhaps this was a bill that everyone should have been able to get on board with. Rape is wrong, Senator. Halliburton should be held to a slightly higher standard than Acorn, don't you think? Or is every last Republican these days completely and utterly blinded to their own pungent hypocrisy? The 30 who voted against this should be immediately ousted from public office. Moreover, they should be tarred and feathered. I wonder what your wives and daughters, your mothers and granddaughters have to say about this repugnant vote...and I hope for their sake, they sign no employment contract with KBR or any of the other rape-mongering companies you seek to keep in business. Shame on you, you unfathomable dick."




Is your Senator a prick? (Senators in the case of: TN, WY, KS, KY, GA, OK, MS, ID, SC, AZ, and AL.)


As promised, the list in its entirety:
Alexander (R-TN)
Barrasso (R-WY)
Bond (R-MO)
Brownback (R-KS)
Bunning (R-KY)
Burr (R-NC)
Chambliss (R-GA)
Coburn (R-OK)
Cochran (R-MS)
Corker (R-TN)
Cornyn (R-TX)
Crapo (R-ID)
DeMint (R-SC)
Ensign (R-NV)
Enzi (R-WY)
Graham (R-SC)
Gregg (R-NH)
Inhofe (R-OK)
Isakson (R-GA)
Johanns (R-NE)
Kyl (R-AZ)
McCain (R-AZ)
McConnell (R-KY)
Risch (R-ID)
Roberts (R-KS)
Sessions (R-AL)
Shelby (R-AL)
Thune (R-SD)
Vitter (R-LA)
Wicker (R-MS)

3 comments:

  1. I just can't even fit my mind around this. What shit. What complete and utter shit. I can't believe I hadn't read about this. I read Huffpost fairly religiously. And NPR? Has it been on NPR? Have I had my head up my butt? Thanks for educating me. The Republicans really just have NO shame, do they?

    ReplyDelete
  2. A few things came to my mind when you were telling me about this friday night, and a few more now that I've read the post:

    1. Politics. Personal gain. Selfish motives. Anything to get ahead, and anything to keep support. Odds are ten to one that every single one of those Republicans is getting money from Halliburton in some form, which explains why they would vote against this amendment. (Did someone say 2010, seats up for grab?)

    2. I yell at the TV during football.

    ReplyDelete